The one superfood you must have
Acai (ah- sigh- EE) Berries are one of the best superfoods out there. Its flavour is often described as a fruity red wine flavour with chocolate overtones. They are packed with antioxidants, amino acids, fibre, essential fatty acids, vitamins and minerals making it the perfectly balanced fruit. It often comes in a powdered form which is easily included in our diets such as smoothies or juices.
Why is Acai so popular?
It has a high concentration of antioxidants which reduces the effects of free radicals in the body. Antioxidants are molecules that prevent the oxidation of other molecules. Oxidation produces free radicals which damages cell and makes our body more prone to diseases and ageing! As our bodies are exposed daily to toxins and free radicals, we needs to take active steps to reduce the effect.
A diet rich in antioxidants is the first step and Acai is one of the most enjoyable superfoods to include in your daily lives to prevent free radical damage.
Acai is recognised as one of the world’s highest Oxygen Radical Absorption Capacity foods (ORAC). ORAC is a measurement of how well antioxidants neutralises free radicals. Acai has more than double the antioxidants of blueberries.
The antioxidants found in Acai berry, anthocyanins, are excellent for heart health. Heart disease is increasingly becoming a problem in the world and finding natural ways of keeping your cardiovascular system healthy is an excellent option. Additionally, anthocyanins are also good at preventing the oxidation of cholesterol. When circulating cholesterol, no matter whether you have high or low levels, gets oxidised, it sticks to the walls of arteries causing their narrowing. This buildup of plaque eventually leads to high blood pressure which is of course dangerous.
Benefits of Acai
- High in essential fatty acids which helps heart health and promotes a healthy nervous system and it is well documented
- Contains amino acids to help promote muscle performance, energy production, endurance and strength.
- High in fibre which prevents or relieves constipation and may help support a healthy cardiovascular system.
- Contains Vitamin C and is a good source of Vitamins A, B1, B2, B3 and E. It is also a source of calcium, magnesium, zinc and copper.
With such an amazing nutritional profile, it is not difficult to understand why Acai berries can be beneficial for your health and may help slow down the ageing process.
Here is a quick recipe you could use with your Acai Powder. We suggest having them for breakfast and in a smoothie. What a great way to start the day don’t you think?
Acai Smoothie Bowl with Berries & Banana
4 tbs acai powder
1 cup frozen raspberries
1 cup frozen strawberries
1 cup almond milk or coconut water
1/2 cup baby spinach leaves
1 tsp cinnamon powder
- Blend the acai powder, frozen berries, milk, spinach leaves and cinnamon powder together. Add a little more almond milk or water if it is too thick. The texture should be a little thicker than a regular smoothie.
- Add your favourite toppings!