Stir Fried Pork and Asparagus
- 500g of Pork for Stir Fry.
- 2 Tablespoons minced ginger, divided
- 2 Tablespoons xao xing (Chinese cooking wine, although sherry is a fair substitute), divided
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ Teaspoon ground white pepper, plus more for later
- ½ Teaspoon salt, plus more for later
- 1 Teaspoon soy sauce
- 5 Medium-thick asparagus spears
- 6 Fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 3 Tablespoons peanut oil, divided
- 2 Tablespoons garlic black bean sauce
- 2 Tablespoons chicken broth
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons chopped scallions
- Cut the pork into rough cubes about ¾ of an inch on a side . Put the pork into a non-reactive bowl and add 1 tablespoon of ginger, 1 tablespoon xao xing, minced garlic, corn starch, vegetable oil, white pepper, kosher salt, and soy sauce. Mix all the ingredients until the pork is very well coated in the marinade.
- Marinate the pork a minimum of 30 minutes; I get better results if I marinate it a couple of hours.
- While the pork is marinating, prep your veggies. Snap off the woody ends of the asparagus and discard. Cut the asparagus at an angle into pieces oh, let’s say an inch-and-a-half in length. Stem the mushrooms and cut into quarters.
- When you’re ready to cook, heat a wok (or a very large skillet) over high heat. When the wok just starts smoking swirl 2 tablespoons of the peanut oil into the bottom and add the pork. Stir-fry pork about three minutes until lightly browned all over.
- Remove cooked pork to a bowl and pour off (and discard) any excess oil. Wipe wok clean with paper towels and place over high heat again. When the wok starts smoking again add the remaining peanut oil. Add the asparagus and stir-fry about one minute.
- Add the mushrooms and stir-fry another 30 seconds. Add remaining ginger and stir it into the veggies. Add the cooked pork back into your wok. Get the wok super-hot again and add the remaining cooking wine. Stir-fry another 10 seconds and then add the black bean sauce and the chicken broth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the chopped scallions and turn off the heat.
- Remove the stir-fry from the wok and place into a serving bowl. Serve with steamed rice and maybe some slices of fresh cucumber.