New Year / Pork
Chilli Pork Spare Ribs
- 600ml groundnut oil
- 1kg pork spare ribs, separated into individual ribs
For the braising sauce
- 850ml chicken stock
- 2 Tablespoons of chilli bean sauce
- 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- 75ml Shaohsing rice wine or dry Sherry
- 1½ tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 Garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 Spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons whole yellow bean sauce (optional)
- 3 Tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 Tablespoons of cornflour blended with 3 tablespoons water
- Heat the oil in a deep-fat fryer or large wok and deep-fry the spare ribs until they are brown and crisp. Do this in several batches, draining each cooked batch well on kitchen paper.
- Combine all the sauce ingredients in a large pan and bring to the boil. Add the deep-fried spare ribs, cover and simmer for about 1 hr or until they are tender. Drain off the sauce and remove any remaining fat.
- Heat oven to 180°C. Put the spare ribs on a rack in a roasting tin and bake in the oven for 15-20 mins until they are brown, basting with the braising sauce every 5 mins.
- Using a cleaver or a sharp, heavy knife, chop the spare ribs into 6cm-long pieces. Turn them onto a warm serving platter and serve immediately.
Recipe from BBC GoodFood