Bubble and Squeak
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 125g onions (finely chopped)
- 425g mashed potato
- Any leftover vegetables (i.e. cabbage, carrots, peas, or Brussels sprouts; finely chopped)
- Salt (to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- In a large frying pan melt the butter (you can also use vegetable oil, but butter tastes better), make sure it doesn’t brown. Add the finely chopped onion and fry gently for about 3 minutes, or until soft and translucent.
- Turn the heat up ever so slightly and add the mashed potato and all of the chopped up leftover vegetables. Fry for at last 10 minutes turning them over continuously in the melted butter ensuring the potato and vegetables are thoroughly reheated. Plus you are also aiming to brown, but not burn, the outside edges of the vegetables, so occasionally press the mixture into the pan to brown a little then continue stirring.
- Finally, when the mixture is heated right through, give the vegetables one long final press onto the base of the pan with a spatula and leave to cook for 1 min. Flip over and repeat.
- Serve as mentioned above with either a fried or poached egg on top, bacon pieces or ham pieces, or any leftover roast mixed in and reheated thoroughly.
- An alternative is to mix the potato and vegetables and form into small patties and then fry as above. Bubble and squeak cakes also make a great side dish for any roast meats, or as mentioned earlier, topped off with a poached or fried egg.